How do you write an academic essay? The correct answer is that there is no one, perfect way for everyone. Each person has their own process.
However, you begin to form your process by first learning an accepted, popular method. Later, as you gain more experience, you can refine the process to something that works best for you. First, though, you will learn the process taught in this class. Each of these elements tends to work well for many people. I want you to use them for the writing assignments in this class.
The points we will learn in this class include:
- Preparation: getting things set up, including your environment, tools, and schedule;
- Technology: learn how to use the word processing and communication tools necessary for this class;
- Brainstorming: coming up with the ideas;
- Outlining: refining and organizing your ideas;
- Review: checking your ideas so far to make sure you are following the assignment and the principles of writing;
- Writing Sentences: writing concise, grammatically correct sentences using a special method;
- Order of Writing: writing the different parts of the essay; and
- Drafting learning to edit, revise, and proofread your writing.